MANAGEMENT OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY IN THE HEALTHCARE FIELD
Translation and interpretation in the medical practice
Seminar on medical interpretation for professional translators
Translation in workshops to prevent infectious diseases
Medical interpretation for professional translators
Management of cultural diversity in the healthcare field is a programme of linguistic interpretation, intercultural mediation in the socio-sanitary field and training in cultural keys, aimed at health professionals and non-Spanish speaking population. Through this programme we aim to enhance communication and the relationship between health professionals and immigrants, through the use of health as a tool for social integration.
The objetives of the programme are:
- To offer a service of quality, cultural and linguistic relevance and with a positive impact on society.
- To train a group of immigrants and health professionals in cultural competency and cultural diversity management.
- To inform immigrants residing in the Community of Madrid about the correct use of the Spanish health system.
- To train students in translation and interpretation skills in public services.
It should be highlighted that the programme achieves less impact when it does not have the necessary financial funding, but interventions do not stop thanks to the collaboration of volunteer staff.
Service of Linguistic Interpretation and Intercultural Mediation (SIMI) in the Medical Practice
(AVAILABLE FOR RAMÓN Y CAJAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL)
The need for this service is undeniable, according to the Report of the population of foreign origin registered in the Community of Madrid, there are currently 862,000 people of foreign origin in our region: Romania: 205,033 (23.78 %); Morocco: 79,639 (9.24 %) and China: 55,784 (6.47 %). This means that the three main groups of immigrants are people whose native language is not Spanish.
The objectives of this programme are:
- To offer a quality interpretation and mediation service in the health centres and public hospitals of the Community of Madrid in order to enhance communication between patients and health professionals from different cultures.
- To train healthcare professionals on how to work with a professional interpreter in the medical practice. Download the “Guide on how to work with a professional interpreter in a medical practice” (available in Spanish)
- To coordinate seminars on cultural diversity management for healthcare professionals, with information on the most relevant pathologies, the Spanish healthcare system in relation to the healthcare systems of the most represented countries, as well as cultural keys for mediation, with practical exercises and tools that can be used to overcome cultural and linguistic barriers.
The interpretation and mediation service is completely free of charge and can be requested by the patient, the organisation the patient comes with or the healthcare professional.
Course on Intercultural Mediation in the Socio-Sanitary Field
Salud Entre Culturas offers training on intercultural mediation for immigrants, with the aim of enhancing the quality of medical care by facilitating communication between health professionals and patients from other cultures. Theoretical-practical training on intercultural mediation in the socio-sanitary field is provided.
The course has the following objectives:
- To train and empower unemployed people from other cultures to work as intercultural mediators in the socio-sanitary field.
- To create a network of mediators to facilitate healthcare and communication between healthcare professionals and patients from different cultures.
- To improve the quality of healthcare by enhancing communication between health professionals and patients from other cultures.
- To participate in the integration of people from other cultures into Spanish society.
The participants in the course receive training in the following topics:
- Health education
- Spanish Health System
- Rights and obligations of immigrants in the Spanish health system
- Communication modalities
- Intercultural conflict resolution
- Translation and interpretation techniques
Coordination of internships for the European Master's Degree in Intercultural Communication, Translation and Interpreting in the Public Services (University of Alcalá)
From 2006, Salud Entre Culturas has offered to the students of the European Master in Intercultural Communication, Translation and Interpreting in the Public Services of the University of Alcalá their internship in our organization.
Between two and four students collaborate over two months on tasks such as: translation of scientific and social-sanitary materials, interpretation in medical practice, mediation and interpretation in educational workshops, dissemination, etc.